Wednesday, September 29, 2010
- You think a face mask could be an accessory to your wardrobe
- Uniforms and whistles are the indicators of true power
- You are able to completely ignore people wearing uniforms and blowing whistles
- You don't sweat
- You ONLY carry an umbrella when it's sunny
- You've never told a foreigner "No"...
- Mexican's can't even come close to how many people you can fit in the bed of your truck ....on the interstate
- Shoes are optional
- You don't have tastebuds (because they've been singed off)
- Politeness and patience are inherent qualities
- Politeness and patience are not acceptable when driving...nor is following the "rules"
- In order to feel comfortable, social heirarchy must be understood and adhered to with a smile :)
- You laugh in awkward, embarrassing, or tense situations
- You are totally oblivious of the temperature and make comments like, "Air conditioning makes me lazy" (-a quote directly from my maid, Khun Jim)
- Have a nickname (ie. Good, Porn, PingPing, Tan, Pep, etc)
- Time is an abstract idea...as is walking at a decent pace
These are my observations of the little quirks I noticed thus far of the Thai culture. It is fabulous, unique, and clearly seen in every facet of life here in Thailand; which, often times, "farangs" (myself included) are not able to understand . The language, customs, attitudes, and behaviors of the Thai people all stem from ancient and traditional buddhist beliefs which have culminated into a welcoming, fascinating, and endearing society...one that I have around 22 more months to further observe.
:) <---a Thai smile